05/16 S.O.A.P. Journal Entry
Scripture: 1 Thessalonians 5
12 Now we ask you, brothers and sisters, to acknowledge those who work hard among you, who care for you in the Lord and who admonish you. 13 Hold them in the highest regard in love because of their work. Live in peace with each other. 14 And we urge you, brothers and sisters, warn those who are idle and disruptive, encourage the disheartened, help the weak, be patient with everyone. 15 Make sure that nobody pays back wrong for wrong, but always strive to do what is good for each other and for everyone else. 16 Rejoice always, 17 pray continually, 18 give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus. 19 Do not quench the Spirit. 20 Do not treat prophecies with contempt 21 but test them all; hold on to what is good, 22 reject every kind of evil.
Paul is giving the church in Thessalonica some final instructions in the closing of his letter. These are instructions to for how to have a thriving and peaceful ministry.
I think the application for this text is pretty straightforward. Paul’s lists of instructions for the church in Thessalonica also apply to our church and us today.
- Acknowledge those who work hard in the church and care for people and hold them in high regard.
- Live in peace with each other
- Warn those who are idle and disruptive
- Encourage the disheartened
- Help the weak
- Be patient with everyone
- Make sure nobody pays back wrong for wrong
- Strive to do what is good for each other
- Rejoice, pray, and give thanks always
- Do not quench the Spirit or treat prophecies with contempt, test them and reject evil.
Lord God, help us to follow Paul’s instructions for a peaceful and thriving church so that Trinity Lutheran Church and School would bare fruit according to Your will. Amen
Posted on Tue, May 16, 2017
by Vince Putnam